Murder Attorney in Phoenix, AZ
We Defend Those Accused of Every Type of Crime
Phoenix Murder Defense Attorney
Professional & Experienced Lawyer – Available 24/7
Belén Olmedo Guerra and the Phoenix criminal lawyers at our firm are known for providing aggressive defense representation for our clients across Maricopa County. Our experienced criminal defense lawyers have a proven track record of success in handling complex criminal cases, including murder charges. We believe that everyone has the right to a fair trial and a competent defense, no matter the circumstances. Our Phoenix criminal defense attorneys work tirelessly to investigate the evidence, challenge the prosecution’s case, and build a strong defense strategy for our clients. If you or a loved one is facing murder charges in Arizona, don’t hesitate to contact our law firm. We will provide you with the skilled and aggressive defense you need to protect your rights and your future.
For a free consultation with an experienced criminal defense lawyer at Belén Law Firm, call (602) 715-0908 or complete our online intake form today.
What is 1st Degree Murder?
Arizona law defines murder as the killing of one human by another with malicious intent.
In Arizona, murder can be either in the first degree or the second degree. First-degree murder is the most serious degree of murder in Arizona and is punished as a Class 1 felony.
First-degree murder in Arizona is when:
- Intending or knowing that the person’s conduct will cause death, the person causes the death of another person, including an unborn child, with premeditation or, as a result of causing the death of another person with premeditation, causes the death of an unborn child.
- Acting either alone or with one or more other persons the person commits or attempts to commit sexual conduct with a minor, sexual assault, molestation of a child, terrorism, marijuana offenses, dangerous drug offenses, narcotics offenses that equal or exceed the statutory threshold amount for each offense or combination of offenses, involving or using minors in drug offenses, drive-by shooting, kidnapping, burglary, arson, robbery, escape, child abuse, or unlawful flight from a pursuing law enforcement vehicle and, in the course of and in furtherance of the offense or immediate flight from the offense, the person or another person causes the death of any person.
- Intending or knowing that the person’s conduct will cause death to a law enforcement officer, the person causes the death of a law enforcement officer who is in the line of duty.
The amount of time for premeditation can be a long or short period of time. Challenging the premeditation is essential to defending your case.
What is 2nd Degree Murder?
A murder charge that doesn’t fall into any of the above categories is second-degree murder. However, second-degree murder is still a Class 1 felony. Second-degree murder in Arizona entails:
- The person intentionally causes the death of another person, including an unborn child or, as a result of intentionally causing the death of another person, causes the death of an unborn child; or
- Knowing that the person’s conduct will cause death or serious physical injury, the person causes the death of another person, including an unborn child or, as a result of knowingly causing the death of another person, causes the death of an unborn child; or
- Under circumstances manifesting extreme indifference to human life, the person recklessly engages in conduct that creates a grave risk of death and thereby causes the death of another person, including an unborn child or, as a result of recklessly causing the death of another person, causes the death of an unborn child.
First-Degree Murder Penalties in Arizona
There are three possible punishments for the criminal offense of first-degree murder:
- Life in prison without the possibility of parole after 25 years
- Life in prison without the possibility of parole
- Death penalty
Second-Degree Murder Penalties in Arizona
- The minimum punishment for second-degree murder is a prison sentence of 10 years
- The maximum punishment for second-degree murder is 25 years in prison
- The presumptive sentence according to the laws in Arizona is 16 years in prison. The sentence might be longer if there were aggravating circumstances. It may also be enhanced if the perpetrator was previously convicted of second-degree murder or other Class 2 or 3 felonies.
Why You Need a Phoenix Criminal Defense Attorney for Murder Charges in Arizona
If you are facing charges for murder or any type of crime that resulted in the death of another person, the criminal defense attorney you choose to protect your rights may be one of the most important decisions you ever make. It is critical that you get the strongest representation possible from an experienced Phoenix murder defense attorney like those at Belén Law Firm. You need a criminal defense team that will fully investigate the facts of your case and find expert witnesses essential to the preparation of your defense. Our Phoenix criminal defense lawyers understand the specialized issues involved in the preparation and defense of a murder charge. We have the courtroom skills and experience to stand up against the State.
As experienced trial attorneys, we know how to build criminal defenses that the prosecution cannot break. In every single case we take on, we closely scrutinize every piece of evidence the prosecution intends to use. We thoroughly arm ourselves with all possible information and drive the case towards the best possible outcome. If the State seeks the death penalty and your life is on the line, do not settle for an inexperienced attorney. A criminal law firm that specializes in defending clients against serious criminal charges like murder can provide you with the knowledge and guidance necessary to navigate the complex criminal justice system. An experienced criminal defense lawyer will work tirelessly to investigate the evidence, challenge the prosecution’s case, and build a strong defense strategy to protect your rights and achieve the best possible outcome for your case. With the help of skilled Phoenix criminal defense lawyers from Belén Law Firm, you can increase your chances of a successful defense and a brighter future.
Call a Phoenix Murder Defense Attorney at the Belén Law Firm for a Free Consultation Today
When facing criminal charges, particularly for violent crimes such as murder, it is essential to seek legal representation from a trusted Phoenix, AZ criminal defense law firm. Our team of experienced criminal attorneys at Belén Law Firm has a deep understanding of the criminal justice system and has successfully defended clients against a range of criminal charges, including murder. We understand the severity of murder charges and the impact they can have on our clients’ lives. That is why we provide personalized and aggressive legal representation to defend our client’s rights, future, and freedom. We work tirelessly to investigate the evidence, build a strong defense strategy, and challenge the prosecution’s case. With our experienced Phoenix criminal defense lawyers by your side, you can rest assured that you will receive the best possible defense against murder charges in Arizona.
Contact the Belén Law Firm today to discuss your Arizona homicide charges with an experienced Phoenix criminal defense lawyer. We offer free case evaluations and are available 24/7. Contact us online or reach us at (602) 715-0908.